We walked about two miles from the city to an agreeable solitude, called Du Plessis ((The château of Plessis-lez-Tours, familiar in ch. iii. of Quentin Durward. It was built by Louis XI., who died there in 1483. Nothing but ruins now remain. –AD)), a house belonging to the King. It has many pretty gardens, full of nightingales; and, in the chapel, lies buried the famous poet, Ronsard ((Pierre de Roussard, called Ronsard, 1524-85. He had a living at S. Côme-les-Tours. –AD)).
Returning, we stepped into a Convent of Franciscans, called St. Cosmo ((Probably the Prieuré de Saint-Cosme. This is now in partial ruins. -GS)), where the cloister is painted with the miracles of their St. Francis à Paula, whose ashes lie in their chapel, with this inscription:
“Corpus Sancti Fran. à Paula 1507, 13 Aprilis, concrematur verò ab Hæreticis anno 1562, cujus quidem ossa et cineres hìc jacent.”
The tomb has four small pyramids of marble at each corner.