Albury Park, Surrey
Albury Park is a country park and historic country house (Albury Park Mansion) in Surrey, England. It covers over 150 acres (0.61 km2); within this area is the old village of Albury, which consists of three or four houses and a church.
From a footnote by Austin Dobson:
“Albury Park, Guildford, Surrey, at this date the seat of the Howards. From the Howards it passed to the Finches, and in 1819 was bought by Mr. Drummond. It now belongs to the Duke of Northumberland, to whose family it came by marriage with the Drummonds.”
The grounds of Albury Park were laid out by Evelyn between 1655 and 1677. The London’s lost garden website gives a comprehensive report on the current state of the gardens.
- Wikipedia for background, image.