Rueil-Malmaison is a commune in the western suburbs of Paris around 8 miles from the centre of Paris.
In 1928, the name of the commune officially became Rueil-Malmaison in reference to its most famous tourist attraction, the Château de Malmaison, home of Napoléon’s first wife Joséphine de Beauharnais.
John Evelyn visited the Palace of Cardinal Richlieu at Rueil (see entry dated Saturday 27 February 1644) but the Palace no longer exists. In footnotes, Austin Dobson states:
“Richelieu’s palace at Rueil no longer exists. Its beautiful grounds were cut up by the heirs of the Duchesse d’Aiguillon, the niece to whom he bequeathed it, and who beautified it so much as to excite the cupidity of Louis XIV. The fortresslike chateau was destroyed in the Revolution. A memory of the gardens survives in the six views of Gabriel Perelle after Israel Silvestre.”