A manor house and around 60 acres of land in Deptford, London. Originally owned by Evelyn’s father-in-law, Sir Richard Browne, Sayes Court reverted to the Crown following the restoration. Evelyn lived in his wife’s family home from 1651 and managed to secure a 99-year lease of the property from Charles II in 1663.
Evelyn rebuilt and enlarged the house and, inspired by French and Italian ideas, turned the surrounding orchard and pasture into one of the most influential gardens of his day
- Wikipedia for background.