and, having procured a bill of health (without which there is no admission at any town in Italy), we embarked on the 12th.
We touched at the islands of St. Margaret and St. Honorat, lately retaken from the Spaniards with great bravery by Prince Harcourt ((Henri de Lorrain, Count of Harcourt, recovered the isles of St Margaret and St Honorer in 1637. The islands had been taken by the Spaniards in 1635 – GS)). Here, having paid some small duty, we bought some trifles offered us by the soldiers, but without going on shore. Hence, we coasted within two leagues of Antibes, which is the utmost town in France. Thence by Nice, a city in Savoy, built all of brick, which gives it a very pleasant appearance toward the sea, having a very high castle which commands it.
We sailed by Morgus, now called Monaco, having passed Villa Franca, heretofore Portus Herculis, when, arriving after the gates were shut, we were forced to abide all night in the barge, which was put into the haven, the wind coming contrary.