John Evelyn mentions visiting the Monastery during his visit to Acquapendente:
Before it was dark, we went to see the Monastery of the Franciscans, famous for six learned Popes, and sundry other great scholars, especially the renowned physician and anatomist, Fabricius de Acquapendente, who was bred and born there.
The Monastery is part of the Monumental Complex of St. Clare which includes the Church, Monastery and Convent. These buildings were built from 1310 to 1328 at the behest of the monarch Robert of Anjou and his wife Sancia of Majorca. The sovereigns, both devoted to St. Francis of Assisi and St. Clare, decided to build a Franciscan monastery in the citadel upholding the Poor Clares and the convent adjoining the Friars Minor.
The Church, as the core of the complex, was built with the title of sacred host orthe Sacred Body of Christ, dedication suggested by the Eucharistic miracle of Bolsena, which occurred in 1264; the designation changed immediately to Santa Chiara, probably because of the extraordinary number of Clarisse in the monastery.