As the Edict of Nantes of 1598 prohibited the building of Protestant churches within five leagues of Paris, the first temple of Paris was built to the east, at Charenton in 1607 by the architect Jacques II Androuet Hoop . This temple was destroyed by fire in 1621 and a second temple was built in 1623 by Salomon de Brosse and Jean Thiriot ; it was destroyed in 1685 after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes . The present temple was built in 1889.
John Evelyn visited the Temple des Protestants here on 6 March 1643.
- Image from http://gallica.bnf.fr