Château de Gaillon, France
Building commenced for the Château de Gaillon in 1502 on ancient foundations and was the summer archiepiscopal residence of Georges d’Amboise, Cardinal Archbishop of Rouen. At the time a grand and luxurious structure, the Château today is only a shadow of it’s former glory.
From Austin Dobson’s footnotes:
“Part only of the chateau of the Archbishops of Rouen now remains, the major portion having been demolished at the Revolution.”