The Château de Chenonceau (also spelled Chenonceaux) is a French château spanning the River Cher, near the small village of Chenonceaux in the Loire Valley in France. It is one of the best-known châteaux of the Loire valley. The estate of Chenonceau is first mentioned in writing in the 11th century. The current château was built in 1514–1522 on the foundations of an old mill and was later extended to span the river. The bridge over the river was built (1556-1559) to designs by the French Renaissance architect Philibert de l’Orme, and the gallery on the bridge (1570–1576) to designs by Jean Bullant.
- Wikipedia for text.
- BnF for image.