Wotton /ˈwʊtən/ is a well-wooded parish with one main settlement, a small village mostly south of the A25 between Guildford in the west and Dorking in the east. The nearest village with a small number of shops is Westcott. Wotton lies in a narrow valley, collecting the headwaters of the Tilling Bourne which then has its first combined flow in the Vale of Holmesdale.
The parish is long north to south, reaching to the North Downs escarpment (and the North Downs Way) in the north to the escarpment of the Greensand Ridge at Leith Hill in the south.
From Austin Dobson 1906 version
“Wotton House—an irregular brick building—has been added to at various times, but largely in 1864, when a muniment room ((Merriam-Webster definition: a storage room for preservation of family or sometimes official or parochial records, papers, notebooks, old manuscript treasures accumulated during the centuries in the muniment rooms of most of the noble and ancient families of Britain. )), which also serves as a library, was built (after the design of Mr. H. Woodyer) on the site of the west wing, destroyed by fire about 1800. Sketches by Evelyn, still preserved, show its aspect in 1640, 1646, 1653, and 1704. The present owner is William John Evelyn, Esq., J.P., D.L., b. 1822.”