Summary

Fort St. Marie lies on the left bank of the Scheldt, east of the village Kallo, opposite St. Philip fort on the right bank of the river Scheldt. It had a very strategic location as is it is on the last bend of the Scheldt before the Antwerp city centre.

The St. Marie fort was founded in 1584 by order of the Spanish general and governor Alessandro Farnese.

Map

Referring entries


Referring entries


Further reading

Sources

  • www.fortengordels.be