Summary

Fort Liefkenshoek was built in 1579 probably commissioned by the magistrate of Antwerp.  In 1614 the fort was completely renovated according to specifications of the fortress builder David Orliens.

As Evelyn noted, the fort is located opposite Fort Lillo. Together they played a crucial role in controlling shipping to and from Antwerp.

“Fort Liefkenshoek en Fort Lillo” from the map of Ferraris (1775)

Map

Referring entries


Referring entries


Further reading

Sources

  • Image from Wikimedia commons