A small, isolated fort in the form of a single building.
John Evelyn visited the Gravesend Blockhouse in 1641. This blockhouse was one of five built on the Thames in 1539-40 to defend the river against enemy fleets. It was built from brick in a D shape with gun ports facing the river.
In the 1660’s the Blockhouse establishment was enlarged to include a residence for use of the Duke of York as Lord High Admiral. This then became quarters for the Blockhouse Ordnance storekeeper and then later the Royal Clarendon hotel.
Charles II used the Blockhouse as a banqueting hall. then by the 18th Century, it has become a gunpowder storage magazine, before being demolished in 1844 to make way for the gardens of the Clarendon Royal Hotel.
All that remains of the Blockhouse today is the foundations excavated during the 1980s.
- Image from Wikimedia commons